Whether you call it ping pong or table tennis, there is no denying the fact that this Victorian-era game is one of the most enjoyable recreational activities. Played either between two people or solo, ping pong has gained popularity because of its simple setup, easy learning curve and accessibility.
It is a game that demands agility and quick reflexes, yet a ping pong match can be played in one corner of a decent-sized room. This makes it the ideal sport for office recreation rooms, student dorms as well as homes. But you can also play it outside!
While it is a predominantly indoor game, it is no less fun to play ping pong when the weather outside is clear and pleasant. It is not uncommon to see people playing ping pong on improvised surfaces like park benches. In fact, it is especially enjoyable because the wind introduces a fair deal of unpredictability in the game, and can make scoring points a challenging task. It can also be a great activity for a picnic or to keep children busy during summers. For such occasions, having an outdoor ping pong table comes in very handy.
While indoor and outdoor ping pong tables don’t differ drastically when it comes to basic construction and application, several factors distinguish the two. Often, customers purchase an outdoor ping pong table even though its alfresco use is infrequent, simply because it offers that adaptability.
Best Outdoor Ping Pong Tables For The Money (2018 – 2019)
Last update on 2020-12-03 at 16:50 / Affiliate disclosure / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
What to Look for While Choosing an Outdoor Ping Pong Table
There are several factors that buyers should keep in mind while shopping for an outdoor ping pong table that meets all your requirements.
What are you buying the ping pong table for? Is it just to get yourself and your kids some exercise? Is it meant for training?
Will the outdoor table be installed in a park where players with a range of proficiencies might use it? Are you an erratic player who would want to store it away for longer periods of time to save space? Will the users include people with a disability?
Figuring out the motive for purchasing the outdoor ping pong table makes it easy to shortlist a few options.
A standard, regulation size ping pong table has a length of 9 feet, breadth of 5 feet and a height of 2.5 feet. Anything smaller than these dimensions can be used for places such as backyards, terraces or small recreational areas where space might be a constraint.
Smaller sizes could also be acceptable if you are buying the table for solo playing or only for your children to play on casually. For more serious players, the standard size is recommended for the optimal experience.
A lack of space might also necessitate buying smaller or foldable top ping pong tables which will take up even lesser area. Some variants also allow you to prop up one half of the table like a wall against which solo players can play. This is yet another space saver.
If you intend of putting the table out and leaving it in the same space all year long, then this won’t really matter to you. But if you want to store it away for winter, or even just move it indoors for use during the winter, then you need a portable table.
So, look for a model that folds up easily and has wheels for easy movement.
Typically, outdoor ping pong tables are built to withstand the weather. You might even see concrete ping pong tables in many community parks.
The tabletop might have a glossy resin or a matte finish and the legs could be made of steel or aluminum. The general rule is that whatever material is chosen should be moisture-proof, corrosion-proof, easy to clean and maintain and be less prone to warping due to temperature changes.
If the place where the table is to be kept is known for its sunny days, the tabletop should be such that the glare from the sun is absorbed and does not interfere significantly with the players’ vision.
It is suggested to also buy a good weatherproof cover for your outdoor ping pong table for greater protection.
Level of Proficiency
If the intended players are amateur, you might not want to invest too much time and money into buying a tournament-grade ping pong table with just the perfect surface, bounce and so on. Of course, if it is meant for training budding table tennis players, then it is necessary to gauge the quality and durability of the table carefully.
More serious players would also want the perfect bounce on the ping pong table which mainly depends on the thickness of the top. The tabletop has to be at least 0.75” to 1” thick for optimum bounce and should be perfectly levelled, with no bumps and indentations. For casual players as well, a table that does not offer much bounce is as good as having no surface at all.
Cheaper alternatives will not last very long, and are acceptable if you have children who are just learning to play. If they take it up seriously, then you could graduate to buying a mid-range outdoor ping pong table which caters to their training needs.
Ease of Installation
If portability and space saving are important criteria to you, you might want to look for a ping pong table that is easy to both put together and dismantle or collapse for storage. Most quality models are designed such that it is easy to assemble the parts. On the other hand, cheaper alternatives might need more time, effort and even special tools to put together.
The components are often heavy, and it can be an ordeal if you live in restricted spaces or do not have a lot of help every time the ping pong table needs to be brought out. The table should be portable as no matter how frequently it is used, there are times when it might have to be brought inside (due to weather or space requirements) and if legs do not have wheels or rollers attached, it can be quite a task to lug the table in.
Outdoor table tennis tables are available to fit a variety of budgets. They range in cost from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars.
Unless you are looking to compete at a professional level, or are a serious hobbyist, then you probably don’t need one of the top of the line expensive tables.
The best choice will be something that fits your budget and is from one of the brands known for making quality tables.
Features To Look For
As you compare the various weatherproof ping pong tables on the market, you’ll notice that some of the features vary from one model to the next. We’ve got a few features that we think you should pay special attention to when buying and outdoor ping pong table for the yard.
Not all outdoor table tennis tables come with a cover, but it’s a good idea to get one if yours doesn’t have one.
Though the weatherproof tables are designed to be left outside, using a cover helps to extend the lifetime of the table. It’s just an extra layer of protection for your investment.
But don’t worry, if your preferred table does not come with a cover, then you can just buy one at an additional cost. All of the top brands make covers for their tables.
The Table Top
For the best playing experience, you will want to check out the thickness of the table. It doesn’t matter what color you go with, but it should be as thick as possible.
The general rule of thumb here is that the thicker the table top of your ping pong table, then the better the game play experience for you.
If you’re concerned about portability and setup, then you should pay special attention to the undercarriage of any table that you’re considering buying for your outdoor space.
Here’s some things to consider about the undercarriage:
- Does the table fold, or is it a single unit piece?
- Is it height adjustable?
- Can it be leveled?
- Does it have wheels?
Just like how there is varying quality among the outdoor ping pong tables on the market, the same is true for the nets that go on them.
The best ping pong table nets have a suspension cord, which works to keep the net taut instead of slack during game play.
How the net attaches to the table is also important. Here’s a few things to consider:
- You can have either fixed or removable assembly
- For removable assembly, you can either have hand-tightened screw clamps or spring loaded clips
- Spring loaded clamps are typically more convenient to use
- Screw clamps give you more precision
Top Outdoor Ping Pong Tables – Our Editor Picks
Whatever be the conditions you intend to use the ping pong table in, the highly competitive market ensures that there is an option available for every need. Here are some of the best rated outdoor ping pong tables available in the market.
STIGA XTR Outdoor Table Tennis Table Review
With 6-mm aluminum composite tabletop that offers glare reduction and levelers to maintain evenness on bumpy surfaces, this offering by Stiga is built to withstand the weather. It also boasts of a 10-minute Quick Play assembly and wheels that can lock into position, along with a Playback option that lets you prop up one half of the table for solo playing.
- PERFECT ADDITION TO ANY OUTDOOR PATIO SET - Durable outdoor table tennis table perfect for the patio or garage
- BUILT TO LAST - Specifically designed and manufactured to withstand the elements.
- ALL-WEATHER PERFORMANCE - Aluminum composite top offers great playability with all-weather performance
- QUICKPLAY DESIGN - 10-minute QuickPlay design comes 95% preassembled out of the box for quick and easy setup
- SIMPLE STORAGE - Effortlessly folds into an ultra-compact storage position in seconds with self-opening legs
Last update on 2020-12-03 at 16:50 / Affiliate disclosure / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
- Relatively easy to set up – only the tabletop needs two people to lift.
- Resistant to warping in the heat and humidity, and can be left out for long durations.
- A safety latch keeps the collapsed assembly together during storage, meaning that no part will accidentally open and hurt someone in the vicinity.
- The net is designed for maintaining strength and the perfect tension in all kinds of weather.
- The glossy blue tabletop is aesthetically pleasing.
- It offers good value for money.
- The aluminum composite top offers lesser bounce.
If you are looking for an economical option in outdoor ping pong tables, go for the Stiga XTR. It might not perform as well as an indoor table as far as bounce is concerned, but is still a decent alternative for amateur players.
JOOLA Outdoor Table Tennis Table Review
One of the most well-known brands for ping pong tables, JOOLA is a sponsor for the US Olympic table tennis team. Its outdoor table tennis table is a budget offering for casual recreation in all weathers. With an aluminum-plastic composite tabletop and powder-coated metal undercarriage, this ping pong table is ideal for outdoor use.
- Your purchase includes One Joola NOVA – Indoor & Outdoor Table Tennis table, One Waterproof net and two posts
- Table tennis table dimensions: Unfolded – 108" L x 60" W x 30" H | Folded – 62'' L x 22'' W x 67'' H | Assembled weight: 166 lbs. | Legs thickness – 40mm x 40mm | Apron thickness – 2” | Net length – 72”
- Table is made with aluminum surface, due to this the bounce will sound a little more hollow compared to tables made with MDF
- Table halves features 4-wheel trolley systems for mobility when alone or nested together. Utilizing the automatic anti-tilting locks, easily unfold one ping pong table half for single playback mode
- Comes 95% pre-assembled and in only 10 minutes, you are ready to play! Simply attach the legs with only 8 bolts TOTAL. Tournament grade table tennis net set for outdoors is a classic screw clamp design for easy attachment
Last update on 2020-12-03 at 16:50 / Affiliate disclosure / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
- The apron has a thickness of 40 mm which inhibits warping and chipping due to moisture and humidity.
- The table legs are adjustable to offer a level surface no matter what the kind of terrain is.
- The table is UV-resistant and stain-resistant, meaning it will look brand new even if it is exposed to the elements.
- The assembly time is very less.
- The table can also be folded for single-person games and collapsed completely for easy storage.
- The price is low as compared to other products offering similar features.
- The tabletop does not offer a lot of bounce and is prone to scratching.
- It might not be suitable for players in wheelchairs as the table legs are not set farther towards the center line to allow free movement.
JOOLA Outdoor Table Tennis Table is a value-for-money, easy to install and easy to maintain product for amateur players. More serious players who expect greater performance should go for better alternatives.
Kettler Outdoor Table Tennis Table – Axos 1 Review
The Kettler Axos 1 is not just the outdoor but the complete package – table, net, a pair of paddles, three balls and an outdoor cover. It offers this for a little over the price of a typical outdoor table with comparable features, and saves you the hassle of shopping for all items separately, especially if you are a first-time buyer.
- WATERPROOF DESIGN - Kettlers table tennis has a non-glare waterproof aluminum top and ALU-TEC climate control underside. ALU-TEC is Kettlers patented technology, protects against different weather conditions. Dimensions: 108 L x 60 W x 30 H inches / Weight: 130 pounds.
- DURABLE CONSTRUCTION - This German-made tennis table offers tournament-quality bounce that can withstand intense and high-impact play. It also has 2-inch powder coated, galvanized steel legs that are both UV and corrosion-resistant. Board Thickness: 0.87 inches.
- FOLDABLE AND SAFE - The table tennis board has a patented safety-fold dual lock to help avoid unintended opening or closing. When you want to practice alone, you can utilize the tables playback feature. Folded dimensions: 19.29 x 60 x 67 inches.
- CONVENIENT WITH FREE ACCESSORIES - The table tennis outdoor table is engineered with 4.5-inch dual-wheeled casters for convenient transport and storage. Axos 1 also comes with 2 Kettler Halo 5.0 paddles, a Kettler outdoor cover, and a 6-pack 3-star balls.
- DAZADI MONEY BACK GUARANTEE - Your product will arrive with all the necessary parts, without defect and/or shipping damage. Well ship new replacement parts or an entirely new table for free. If you still arent satisfied, well give you a full refund. All our items ship for free to your door, but we also offer in-home delivery and assembly for an added fee. Warranty: 2-Year Residential/1-Year Commercial Warranty. Repair or replacement is available during this period at no cost to the purchaser.
- The aluminum top reduces glare and is designed to withstand all weather conditions.
- The top is 22 mm thick and coated with scratch-resistant paint.
- The metal undercarriage is built using patented ALUTEC technology which allows the relatively thin legs to offer reliable support in all kinds of conditions.
- There are safety clips on both sides of the table to ensure that the table is propped up securely during storage and does not open unexpectedly.
- The distinctive dual-wheel rollers offer ease of transport.
- The makers offer a 2-year residential and 1-year commercial warranty on the components.
- New users might take some time to figure out the assembly.
Kettler Axos 1 is the complete package for amateur players and has a sturdy and reliable design despite the comparatively low price. Go for it if your motivation is mainly recreational.
Harvil Outsider Table Tennis Table Review
Most outdoor ping pong tables are designed such that they still need to be brought inside for storage. The Harvil Outsider Table Tennis table, unlike most models, is designed for the outdoors, in the truest sense. Made for casual recreational games, it is very inexpensive and also includes a net, cover, four paddles and eight balls in the package.
- PERFECT FOR OUTDOOR USE - The Harvil Outsider Table Tennis Table has a weather-proof, aluminum tabletop thats supported diagonally by a powder-coated steel frame. Assembled dimensions: 108 L x 60 W x 30 H inches/ Storage position: 61.5 L x 23.6 W x 63.5 H inches/ Table top: 60 L x 54 W x 0.24 inches thick/ Weight: 147.67 pounds
- PORTABLE and COMPACT - Equipped with sturdy, easy to lock and unlock wheels that provide both stability and mobility. This ping pong table can also be folded for playback and for convenient storage.
- VIBRANT PING PONG TABLE TOP - White vibrant lines on the playing surface effectively outlines the boundaries for easy play. Includes Table Tennis net and post. Racket and ball set sold separately.
- MANUFACTURER WARRANTY - Your table will arrive with all the necessary parts, without defect and/or shipping damage. Well ship new replacement parts or an entirely new table at no cost in the event of defect or damage. If you still arent satisfied, youll get a full refund. We also offer in-home delivery and assembly for an added fee. In the 1-year warranty period, we will repair or replace defective parts at no cost to the purchaser.
- DESIGNED AND ENGINEERED BY HARVIL - All Harvil items are designed and engineered by creative people right here in the USA. We are a family business and we design our products to be enjoyed by family and friends. Even though many of these items are manufactured in Asia, we are proud to have Americans who understand Americans needs bringing our items to life.
- It is easy to set up.
- The undercarriage, made using powder-coated steel is strong and offers stability to the tabletop.
- The entire assembly folds up very well for compact storage and can be left outside as well without risking damage.
- Great value for money and cheapest among the most popular brands for recreational players.
- Good customer support.
- The aluminum composite tabletop is thin (4 mm) and absorbs a lot of the bounce. It is therefore not suitable for regular players.
- The net does not retain tension and is prone to sagging.
The Harvil Outsider is built for families and amateur players who just want to hit some shots for fun and is extremely economical. It can withstand the elements, but is not the best option if you are a hardcore ping pong enthusiast.
Kettler #SketchPong Indoor/Outdoor Table Tennis Table Review
Another excellent piece of German craftsmanship, the Kettler #SketchPong is designed for intermediate to regular users. It has a bunch of thoughtfully included features such as the ball box and the chalkboard top, in addition to its regulation size dimensions, which make this outdoor ping pong table a great choice.
- Completely weatherproof, International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) approved tournament sized table, measuring 108" L x 60" W x 30" H
- Playing surface has a coating of blackboard paint, which allows you to use chalk to doodle, sketch, write messages and even keep track of scoring
- Designed with an ALU-TEC surface which encapsulates a resin treated board in aluminum which permanently seals the wood and retains a true bounce experience
- Unique water-based paint and topcoat are UV, scratch and fade resistant; Steel legs have a synthetic powder coating and galvanized treatment to guard against corrosion
- Each table half features a ball storage box, allowing for quick access to keep the game going; Under both net posts, an elastic band storage area secures additional accessories
- The tabletop has a chalkboard paint coating which allows you to keep score right on the table, or just doodle on it for fun.
- The tabletop is equipped with a ball storage box where several balls can be kept safely and removed easily using the dispensing mechanism.
- The center of the table has a side attachment where paddles and other equipment can be stored and are held in place by elastic bands.
- The bounce offered by the 7” top is fairly good.
- The design is sturdy and is suitable for use in all-weather conditions. It is also aesthetically pleasing.
- The tabletop folds up for playback.
- Components like paddles and balls can be purchased separately.
- The features come at a comparatively hefty price.
- The assembly is rather tricky and takes time.
If you do not mind paying extra bucks for a sleek looking product that has premium features and good performance, the Kettler #SketchPong is the ideal option for you.
Cornilleau 500M Crossover Indoor/Outdoor Blue Table Tennis Table Review
Another option for more serious players, the Cornilleau 500M Crossover is a versatile ping pong table suitable for both indoor and outdoor use. It has a very elegant look to it, and the 7 mm surface offers a bounce that pretty much mimics pro-level games in the right conditions. Add to that the carefully designed curved undercarriage and double rollers and you get a product that is one of a kind.
- The 500M Crossover, you'll be striving for excellence. With its sturdy, aestetic outline, it has been designed for intensive practice. A look, a challenge, the confrontations are unavoidably merciless !
- The undercarriage is designed to allow players in wheelchairs sufficient room.
- In spite of the seemingly bulky components, the parts collapse together for very compact storage.
- The ‘MATTOP’ surface of the tabletop reduces glare, making it comfortable to play even on bright days.
- The wheels are lockable which allows for stability and support.
- The bounce offered by the Cornilleau is near-professional and one of the best among leisure outdoor ping pong tables.
- The net is weatherproof and retractable, meaning it wraps itself up when the table is folded, thereby eliminating any chance of snags or tears. It is made using high-quality material that has a very long life.
- The price for this product is on the higher side as compared to other products in the same category.
The Cornilleau 500M Crossover is designed for the more serious players in the leisure and home segments. The price is commensurate with the quality offered, so if you are seeking a product that mimics proper playing conditions, price notwithstanding, go for this option.
Killerspin MyT-O Outdoor Indoor Table Tennis Table Review
Another versatile product meant for both indoor and outdoor application, the Killerspin MyT-O Outdoor Indoor Table Tennis Table is a high-end, premium option for players seeking the best ping pong experience. With its easy eight-nut assembly, weatherproof construction and aluminum playing surface, it performs without losing efficiency in both types of settings.
- Simple 15-minute setup with only eight nuts and bolts for easy, quick assembly
- Specialized weatherproof aluminum-plastic blend playing surface
- Table halves fold separately for hassle-free storage and individual playback position for solo play
- Includes premium weatherproof clip-on net and post system
- Highly durable 3-inch casters with premium wheels and individual locks for smooth rolling on any terrain and secure storage
- Easily assembled in just 15 minutes.
- 6 mm aluminum tabletop offers a sturdy bounce which is greater in comparison to most outdoor ping pong tables.
- Metal apron around the table prevents warping due to moisture.
- The clip-on net and clamps are also weatherproof.
- The table divides into two separate halves, which makes moving it around easier. The parts can be joined securely using the wheel locks without any misalignment.
- A 1-year warranty is offered on the product.
- The bounce might be uneven in some areas.
The Killerspin is an overall sound product which offers good bounce, sturdy design and easy usage for a price that might be higher than other alternatives, but is justified, given its performance.
Indoor vs Outdoor Ping Pong Tables
If you’re trying to decide between getting yourself an indoor table tennis table or going for an indoor/outdoor model that is weather proof, then you might wonder if there’s really any functional difference between the two.
There is no functional difference between outdoor and indoor table tennis tables. The only real difference you will notice is that the outdoor tables are made of weatherproof materials, which means that they won’t get easily damaged by the rain, wind, sun, and other outdoor elements.
You can find both types of tables in a variety of sizes, including professional tournament size ping pong tables, as well as a variety of prices to fit any budget.
One thing to note here is that if you want to play competitive ping pong, then you’re going to want an indoor table to practice on. That’s simply because it’s the standard among the professional players.
Since outdoor tables are typically made of different materials, it does mean that you will experience slower game play. This is because the outdoor table material absorbs the energy of the ping pong ball.
Best Outdoor Ping Pong Table Brands
If the most important thing to you is choosing a table made by a brand known for quality and durability, then there are few brands out there on the market for you to choose from right now.
- Kettler. This German brand makes a lot of game tables and their ping pong tables are some of the best on the market. Even the Olympics committee things they’re one of the best. In fact, Kettler was the exclusive supplier of table tennis gear for the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta.
- JOOLA. Another brand brand, JOOLA is known for making quality tables that are sold at a low cost. They make some of the most affordable tables you can get these days.
- Stiga. This Swedish brand has a long reputation in this industry and makes some of the best table tennis gear at affordable prices.
- Cornilleau. If you want the best that money can buy, then this is your go-to brand for luxury ping pong tables. Their premium prices aren’t for everyone, but the quality they bring is top notch.
Outdoor ping pong tables are offered by a plethora of manufacturers that cater to various segments. Based on your proficiency, player groups, intended usage and logistical constraints, you should choose a product that offers you value for your money and does not compromise on quality.