Rebounder trampolines or mini-trampolines are much more than just a passing health fad. Both trampolines and mini-trampolines tap into an activity that is simple, timeless and fun for everyone — jumping. Both are constructed in a similar manner, as well.
However, the former is more of a recreational equipment that can be used for exercise as well, while the mini-trampoline is designed specifically for rebounder exercise routines.
We’ve put together a buyer’s guide for you that breaks down the basics of going about purchasing a mini-trampoline, and then shortlisted three top picks of products that are worth your time.
Best Rebounder Trampolines for the Money (2017 -2018)
|Maximus Pro Gym Rebounder Mini Trampoline with Handle bar. Includes 2 x Awesome Rebound DVD's 7...||$279.00 $199.00||Buy on Amazon|
|Pure Fun 40-inch Exercise Trampoline||$69.99 from $43.00||Buy on Amazon|
|JumpSport 220 Fitness Trampoline | Safe & Stable Non-Tipping Arched Legs | Large Surface| Smooth...||$229.00||Buy on Amazon|
Last update on 2019-08-21 at 13:47 / Affiliate disclosure / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Rebounder Trampolines Buyer’s Guide
What Is Rebounding?
Rebounding is nothing but using the various benefits of the act of jumping in the form of an exercise, in order to work towards a healthier body. Safe and accessible to a large number of people, one of the best things about rebounding is how it is a full-body workout, while going easy on your joints.
Rebounders or mini-trampolines are inherently bouncy, and designed to absorb the impact of the jump, resulting in a very low impact on your joints. Not only is it a great way to spend time and play with your kids, it burns fat and strengthens your core and builds muscle. Let us take you through the science of how rebounding works, before we elaborate on other health benefits that Rebounding offers.
What’s the Science behind Rebounding, and How Does It Work?
Studies on rebounding have concluded that there is a long list of health benefits that can be attributed to it, and we go into further details into this below.
It is estimated that rebounding, as a concept, surfaced approximately 50 years ago, with the idea being to focus on the balls of your feet to create a downward push into the mat; leaning forward with your knees bent slightly, to propel yourself into the air with the bounce of the rebounder to a height of up to six inches, feeling completely and magically “weightless”.
This “weightlessness” brings with it a lot of positivity, since it releases feel-good hormones, known as endorphins, into our body. The gravitational pull is what builds momentum in the jumping process, and is really at the core of what makes rebounding an activity that is so positive for your health, not to mention joyful, for literally everybody.
There’s a chain of continuous actions that take place when you bounce on a mini-trampoline:
- An upward “push” action as you bounce upward from the surface of the mat.
- A feeling of “weightlessness” for a fraction of a second when you’re suspended mid-air.
- Gravity kicks in, and there is a deceleration in the movement.
- You bounce against the rebounder with an impact, and are pushed upward again.
And thus, this process is repeated every time you jump on a rebounder.
Since this is an exercise that is driven completely by gravity, each and every cell in your body reacts to the various impacts and is exercised, which is also why it boosts overall mitochondrial function and cell energy.
What Are the Benefits of Rebounding?
Whether you’re a college student or working professional who is finding it hard to exercise, or a parent looking for a way to tire out hyperactive children, adding a rebounder to your house comes with a long list of health benefits.
While there are certain exercises that target specific areas of the body, here are some of the health benefits rebounding can offer, in general:
- It’s a full-body workout that burns fat quickly.
- It strengthens the core and tones upper body and leg muscles.
- A study has shown that the “up and down” motion that is created because of gravity is great for the lymphatic system, which itself runs vertically in the human body, as it increases lymphocyte activity.
- Boosts the functioning of the cardiovascular system and the immune system.
- Rebounding also has many benefits for women, as it helps strengthen their pelvic floor.
- Increases bone mass and is very beneficial for the skeletal system.
- There is low impact on your joints and fewer chances of injury.
- Increases coordination, relieves stress and effectively burns large amounts of calories.
- A safe and fun form of exercise, that can be done indoors as well as outdoors.
With a rebounder, you can literally just bounce your way to health.
Who Can Rebound?
Absolutely anyone can do rebound exercises. You can do this at home with the guidance of Youtube videos and tutorials, or in the gym.
What Do I Look out for While Buying a Mini-Trampoline for Rebounding?
There are a couple of things you need to keep in mind and figure out, before you sign the check on this health investment:
Your personal goals
As rebounders are used mainly for aerobic exercise routines, it’s good to have an idea of your own purpose of buying a rebounder. Is there a particular part of your body that you want to focus on working out, in particular? Are you looking to build strength in certain muscles?
Since mini-trampolines are too small to practice stunts like flips on, you can include variations so that there are aerobic elements incorporated into your workout as well. For example, you can hold dumbbells while on the rebounder, or practice a variation of the box jump, where you jump on and off the mini-trampoline.
Size of the Rebounder
Another great thing about mini-trampolines is that they are easily portable, so not only can you use this equipment at home, you can travel with it and use it for working out in a gym.
While rebounders come in various sizes, it is narrower in width and closer down to the ground, elevated at no more than a foot or two off the ground, as compared to a normal trampoline. In diameter, a rebounder is approximately two to four feet.
There is overall less risk while using a rebounder, compared to a trampoline, as it is smaller, for both adults as well as kids.
Although both, trampolines and rebounders can be customized, the accessories for rebounders are designed specifically for certain workouts. For instance, you can get yourself a stabilizer bar that will help to improve the stability of your rebounder while also offering you a bar to use as a grip for your aerobic workouts. On the other hand, trampoline accessories are designed to make trampolines safer to use.
What Type of Rebounder Should I Look For?
Mini-trampolines come in various shapes and sizes, and come in foldable as well as non-foldable models. Available across different brands, both types of exercisers are equally durable, but the foldable kind does end up being much more convenient and accessible for everyday use.
Quality takes precedence while purchasing a mini-trampoline; you can choose between a spring trampoline and a bungee cord trampoline, so check the bounce to see what suits you best.
When it comes to elasticity, spring trampolines have less elasticity, since they have a much shorter suspension, and hence, there is less bounce. These are usually cheaper, have a shorter lifespan and require a good level of upkeep.
On a cord bungee rebounder, the mat or base is securely tied to the rim with strong, elastic cords. Due to these durable and stretchable cords, you can bounce higher on this type of mini-trampoline without having to worry about sustaining injuries, as there is low impact on ligaments and joints; this is also why you can have longer workout sessions.
These bungee trampolines also last a long time, make less squeaky noises when you jump and require minimal upkeep.
Rebounder Trampolines: Reviews
Here are our top three picks of rebounders along with their reviews, complete with pros, cons and a final verdict on each product.
MaXimus Pro Gym Rebounder Review
This professional gym rebounder is just the thing for sports and fitness training. Jam-packed with safety features to protect the user, this mini-trampoline can take up to 130 kgs of weight and comes with a stability handlebar included.
Not only does it include a free compilation workout DVD with four rebounding workouts that are divided into beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels so that you are really taken through the process of properly and safely, doing rebound techniques through demonstration.
- Professional Gym Rebounder Mini Trampoline - Great for fitness and Sports Training, weight loss, lymphatic drainage and core and joint stability training. Includes 2 x FREE Compilation Rebounding workout DVD's with 7 Amazing workouts (beginners, intermediate, and advanced levels) demonstrating proper rebound techniques
- The most Robust and High Quality Fitness Rebounder on the market, used by many Professional Athletes and Sports men and women for cardio and core training. Your deep core muscles are engaged involuntary allowing you to produce more core power which is vital for any sport. You will improve, speed agility, balance and coordination giving you the edge over your opponents on the playing field.
- Very low Impact bounce, due to Advanced Large Spring System for low impact bounce and training. Non slip surface. Extremely Robust. View - www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkxTal4uWh4
- As used in Thousands of Gyms Worldwide, including Spa's and Holistic Therapists for Detox purposes and Lymphatic Drainage that helps boost your Immune system and rid your fat or toxins allowing you to burn fat more efficiently. Many Validated Researched Fitness and Health Efficacies for best results.
- Folding Spring loaded legs for easy storage/set up - Can take up to 150kgs person. Stability Handle Bar also Included.Rebounder dimensions are 102cm (standard fitness size rebounder) weighs 12kg weight so it wont tip up or move unlike cheap lightweight rebounders. Shipped for, Full Warranty
Last update on 2019-08-21 at 08:28 / Affiliate disclosure / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Pros of the MaXimus Pro Gym Rebounder
- This professional gym rebounder is great for those looking to burn fat and lose weight, drain their lymphatic system and train in joint stability.
- It comes with a free compilation DVD, including four levels of workouts that depict rebound exercise techniques.
- Many professional athletes have vouched for this high-quality product, especially for cardio and core training.
- Training and strengthening your inner core muscles is integral while playing any sport and strong core muscles bring with them an improvement in coordination and balance, speed agility and consequently, performance.
- The advance spring system in the rebounder has been designed to result in minimum impact on your joints.
- The mat of this mini-trampoline is equipped with a non-slip surface.
- Comes with spring-loaded legs that make it easy to store and assemble.
- This is a standard fitness size rebounder that weighs 12 kgs, so it’s heavy enough to firmly stay put while being used and will not tip over like its lower-quality counterparts.
- Comes with a full warranty.
Cons of the MaXimus Pro Gym Rebounder
- There have been a few reviews reporting issues with the cords and springs of the mini-trampoline coming off after a certain amount of use.
- This product is on the expensive side.
MaXimus Pro Gym Rebounder: Verdict
This is professional gym exercise equipment that is durable and very simple to assemble. Since it is foldable, you can have it out in the open most of the time, and fold it up in case you have guests over, or whenever you need more space.
Easy to store and easy to transport, this gym rebounder certainly has a lot going for it.
Pure Fun Mini Rebounder Review
With a weight capacity of 250 lbs this Pure Fun Mini Rebounder is excellent for core-strengthening routines and also provides you with a good cardiovascular exercise at a sustained elevated heart rate that minimizes the risk of cardiac disease and improves your overall health.
- 40-inch jumping surface provides plenty of space to safely bounce
- 36 sturdy 2.75-inch galvanized steel springs for superior bouncing
- Exterior trampoline pad is cushioned to avoid injuries when bouncing
- Jump mat made of heavy-duty polypropylene to ensure durability
- ASTM, TUV/GS and CE Certified
Last update on 2019-08-21 at 08:08 / Affiliate disclosure / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Pros of the Pure Fun Mini Rebounder
- The outer spring pad of the trampoline is cushioned, for a safer bouncing experience.
- This is a durable and long-lasting rebounder, created with steel supports tipped with rubber and 36 high-tension dual springs. This makes for the perfect bounce.
- The jump mat of the rebounder has been constructed of heavy-duty polypropylene.
- Quick and simple to set up, without the need for any additional tools.
- Since these rebounders are compact and portable, they can be used for indoor as well as outdoor exercise.
- Great value for money.
- 90-day warranty.
Cons of the Pure Fun Mini Rebounder
- You need two people to set up the mini-trampoline, as the silver cover is relatively difficult to stretch onto the trampoline.
- Some reviewers have mentioned their preference for foldable legs, instead of detachable ones, so that it would be easier to store.
- Some users have found it to be relatively small in size, especially for side-to-side motions, and some issues with broken springs.
Pure Fun Mini Rebounder: Verdict
This is a great and durable product that can have a long lifespan, if maintained properly and used safely. Reviewers have also mentioned that they received positive customer support, which helps to extend the life of this value-for-money product further.
With a cushioned spring pad constructed of heavy-duty polypropylene, this rebounder is chock-full of features to give you the perfect bouncing experience, that is a blend of exercise and fun.
JumpSport 220 Fitness Trampoline Review
JumpSport is a renowned and well-respected name in the trampoline industry, with the founder Mark Publicover actually being the one who, about 20 years ago, invented the trampoline enclosure, that is very much required when used by kids.
This particular mini-trampoline is great for weight loss, cardio, balance and coordination and overall mental health, since it provides a whole-body workout. The best part? It comes to you practically pre-assembled so you don’t have to wrack your brains and sweat it out for hours in order to set it up.
- Top mini trampoline brand among fitness pros and home users alike for rebounding exercise
- 30 Patented EnduroLast-2 cords rated best bounce; club tested to 400 thousand smooth bounces
- Patented No-Tip arched legs provide unmatched stability and safety. Comes almost fully assembled!
- Integrated Permatron Skirt covers cords for safety and adds over 50% greater space for exercise
- USA based, family-owned: our industry leading products are entirely designed & engineered in USA
Last update on 2019-08-21 at 13:47 / Affiliate disclosure / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Pros of the JumpSport 220 Fitness Trampoline
- Patented arched legs without tips support the mat reliably, making for a stable and safe bouncing experience. They also make sure that the rebounder doesn’t tip over, like old-school rebounders.
- Space is definitely an area where this rebounder scores, as the integrated permatron skirt of 4 inches that covers the cords acts as a safety feature. It also adds practically 50% more space, making for a much larger jumping surface of 882 sq feet for play and exercise.
- The more space you have to experiment and exercise in, the larger the range of workout modalities there are that open up to you.
- Top of the line, when it comes to safety standards and stability. You don’t have to worry about getting injured on this rebounder.
- The bounce is practically noiseless and does not disturb the surroundings when in use.
- JumpSport is a family-owned company based out of the USA, with all their products designed and engineered entirely in the USA.
- Constructed by a brand that is a leader in the industry.
Cons of the JumpSport 220 Fitness Trampoline
- This rebounder is relatively expensive.
- User responses to the size of the mat vary, with some finding it too small and others, too large.
- Some reviewers have reported that this mini-trampoline gets worn out pretty quickly, depending on the use.
JumpSport 220 Fitness Trampoline: Verdict
When it’s high-intensity training you want to focus on, or those that work on balance and coordination, this smooth rebounder is well-equipped for your personal fitness goals. The lifespan of this virtually silent product also tends to be almost four times longer than other products.
Are You Ready to Create Your Own Bouncing Experience?
Now that you have gone through our buyer’s guide and our reviews of the top three mini-trampolines worth checking out, we hope you have a much clearer idea of what to look out for. As with any product, when purchasing a rebounder, you need to identify your own personal fitness goals and customization preferences so that you can shortlist the kind of products that would be the best fit.
From boosting your immune system to improved cardiovascular health, rebounders provide a full-body workout. Considering the range of health benefits that a rebounder offers, this is quite a gift to anyone who receives it.
With the option of foldable mini-trampolines, this becomes a bounce party you can carry with you wherever you like — the gym, up to the roof or out for a picnic. The possibilities are endless with customizations like these, and with so many choices, you get to choose exactly the kind of rebounding experience you want.
top image By Robster1974 (http://www.jumpster.co.uk/) [CC0], via Wikimedia Commons