Best Complete Skateboards For Beginners (2020)
Ready to buy your first skateboard and not sure what you should get? We recommend that you opt for a complete skateboard, which will be exactly what you need to go on your first ride.
We get it – you have no idea where to start, which brands are the best, how much to spend, etc. Don’t worry, mate!
Lucky for you, the crew here can help point you in the right direction for a good newbie friendly skateboard. Check out some of our recommendations below on the best complete skateboard for the money right now.
This page contains some affiliate links. If you click through and make a purchase, I’ll earn a commission, at no additional cost to you.
Top 10 Skateboards for Beginners
Last update on 2020-08-10 at 22:20 / Affiliate disclosure / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
What To Consider When Buying Your First Skateboard
There are several things that you need to consider when you are preparing to buy your first skateboard. We definitely want the board to bring enjoyment to you life, so believe that there are a few things you should consider before making this purchase.
Here is what you consider before buying your first skateboard:
Your Age & Shoe Size
You wan to make sure that you get a skateboard that’s not too small or too big for you to easily maneuver. And your asge and shoe size is one way to do that.
- For young kids, a good choice is a micro or mini skateboard (6-7 inches width) since they accommodate smaller feet.
- Teens are likely going to be more comfortable on a mid-size deck (7.3 inches width) since they have larger feet and better control of the board.
- Adults should stick with a full-size deck (7.5 inches or larger), which works will with larger sized feet.
The style of your skateboard deck. It is also helpful to familiarize yourself with the different styles of skateboard decks and their preferred application. Each deck is designed for certain styles of riding.
- Shortboard. As the name suggests, these are one of the shortest styles of skateboard decks. They are designed to perform tricks and to get air. If you are a frequent visitor to the local skate park, a shortboard will be an ideal match.
- Cruiser. These often have a kick tail and are designed for commuting or cruising. Cruisers are versatile and highly maneuverable, making them ideal for street use.
- “Old school.” These have a flat nose and kicktail. They have a wider nose and are excellent for carving the streets.
- Longboards. If you’re not all that interested in executing tricks and want a skateboard for commuting, then look into a longboard. Some are designed for downhill racing, with the sort of longboard having a symmetrical shape, sitting low to the ground. These are also designed to accommodate larger wheels.
Skateboard Deck Shape
The shape is also a major factor when it comes to performance. Many manufacturers are experimenting with different concave shapes and curvatures.
- Radial concave. This sort of skateboard has a slight indent into it. The subtle shape is the most common type of skateboard deck. This allows for improved foot contact and is useful in almost any style of riding.
- Progressive. This has a similar concave to the radial shape. They are slightly more dramatic, with a steep wall. This allows for enhanced footing, making your feet feel even more connected to the skateboard deck.
- W-concave. The concave does not extend the entire length of the deck, just the area towards the tail. This allows you to shift energy more easily. This provides enhanced precision, allowing skaters to feel more comfortable when making sharper turns.
- Tub concave. Also called a flat cave, this is similar to the radial board. Due to the sudden flareups on the sides of the board, you’re able to make sudden shifts in your weight for enhanced turning.
- Convex. These have an upward arch; the complete opposite of most skateboard deck shapes. While uncommon, convex skateboard decks are popular with downhill skateboarders.
- The flat deck. This skateboard has no curvature. Some old school skateboards feature a flat deck. They allow for additional space for your feet and can be comfortable for occasional riders.
Our Favorite Beginner Skateboards Reviewed
Now that you have recognized the different features of the skateboard, you will have to pick the right one that is aligned with your skating styles and preferences. Here are some of our top recommended skateboards on the market
1. NPET Pro Skateboard Complete Canadian Maple Double Kick Concave Deck Skating Skateboard
This is one of the larger decks at about 31 inches. These skateboard decks are designed for speed, with a concave design that allows for traction and a connection between the writer and the skateboard.
On the skateboard are patterns that are printed directly onto the deck— they aren’t shoddy stickers. It’s a nonslip surface that is also waterproof.
- Ideal skateboard size for novices as well as professional skaters.
- Soft urethane wheels and quality trucks come with the deck.
- May need time to be broken into. The trucks might need to be tightened further.
2. ToyerBee Complete Skateboard, 9 Layer Canadian Maple Double Kick Skate Board
Toyerbee is an affordable skateboard deck that does not skimp on quality parts. It is a highly rated deck, with the skateboard brand positioning itself as entry-level friendly.
This skateboard deck consists of nine plies of Maple wood, making for a deck that is nimble, speedy, and responsive.
Since it is an entry-level brand, they want riders to have all of the tools that they need to take care of their new skateboard deck, with the deck coming with a repair kit that includes a multi-function wrench and a set of screws for the wheel.
It also comes packaged with additional screws for the trucks.
The Toyerbee is designed with four anti-shock and anti-abrasive wheels fixed with high precision, high-speed stainless alloy bearings.
At 31 inches long and 8 inches wide, this is a versatile skateboard.
- Quality bearings and trucks allow for a stable ride.
- Great value skateboard for entry-level writers.
- It may not be ideal for intermediate skateboarders who want a deck to execute tricks.
3. Amrgot Skateboards Pro 31 inches Complete Skateboards for Teens, Beginners, Girls, Boys, Kids, Adults
The Amrgot Skateboards Pro is 31 inches long and is the complete skateboard for beginners. It is one of the more flashy skateboard designs, granting you the option to buy highly personable skateboard decks with different types of prints at the bottom.
The skateboard is made from eight piles of Maple wood for enhanced flexibility and durability. It comes with standard polyurethane wheels with bearings that already have high-quality lube inside of it.
- Highly affordable skateboard deck ideal for teens, beginners, with a variety of designs. It is one of the more expressive skateboard decks.
- Eight piles of wood make for a lighter and more agile deck.
- Designs at the bottom might turn off some adult skaters who are starting in the hobby.
4. Powell Golden Dragon Flying Dragon Complete Skateboard
This skateboard is designed with an additional polymeric strap instead of three straps — this holds the deck together even if there is a crack. This allows for a highly resistant skateboard that will survive the additional bump.
Not only is the deck stiffer than other skateboards for an improved tactile feel, but the surface of the skateboard is covered in grip tape for enhanced handling.
The Powell Golden Dragon Flying has some of the features that elevate it beyond its price point, including hand casted polyurethane wheels that provide excellent roll and grip.
It’s an overall quality skateboard deck that is durable yet very lightweight. The easy glide and control of the Powell Golden Dragon Flying make for one of the best skateboard decks for beginner adults who want to start executing skateboard tricks.
- One of the best skateboards for beginners.
- High-quality materials.
- The wheels aren’t soft — you will feel every pebble and crack in the pavement. Thankfully the wheels can be switched out.
5. WhiteFang Complete Skateboard, 7 Layer Canadian Maple Double Kick Concave Standard and Tricks Skateboards
This is a solidly built skateboard constructed with seven layers of Canadian Maple. Due to the lower number of layers, the skateboard is ideal if you want a lightweight deck.
It comes preinstalled with super smooth polyurethane wheels, with 95A bushings.
It comes mostly assembled, ideal for those who are a bit intimidated when it comes to building a skateboard.
- Three-year warranty.
- Reliable for beginners and those who are looking for an entry-level skateboard.
- The trucks might need to be replaced.
Which Skateboard Brands Are Good For Beginners?
As you shop for a new skateboard, you’ll notice that you can find them from a wide variety of brands.
We know that you want a high quality skateboard, so you might be wondering which brands offer the best quality.
Some of our favorite brands include:
- Powell Golden Dragon
The crew here recommends any of the brands and models that you see listed on this page.