The Lone Start State provides a variety of possible getaways ranging from rolling hill country with rivers and lakes to the beaches of the Gulf Coast. Here’s or picks for the seven best locations to spend some time this summer.
1. Galveston – This island city is one of Texas’ best attractions. Boasting around 30 miles of beaches, an abundance cultural and historical sites, along with amusement parks, and a cruise ship port, Galveston has plenty to do for the entire family. Visit the museums or art galleries, of which there are more than 30. If you are a thrill seeker, go for a helicopter ride, speedboat ride or skydiving trip. Located in Galveston, Schlitterbahn Waterpark is one of the best theme parks in Texas and is great fun for the whole family. There is more than enough to do in Galveston to make it one of the best vacation spots Texas has to offer.
2. Corpus Christi – This quiet beach town on the Gulf Coast is a wonderful spot to enjoy the summer sun. You can visit the many beautiful beaches to sunbathe or get out in the surf and try kite-boarding, windsurfing, or sailing. Located at Padre Island– the longest undeveloped barrier island in the world– Corpus Christi offers a unique opportunity for nature-lovers. Go birding, watch the sea turtles, or visit the nearby wildlife refuges. With plenty to see and do, from beach-side activities, to nature walks, to music and art festivals, Corpus Christi provides its visitors with a rich, Southern-Texas experience.
3. Horseshoe bay – Just 85 miles outside of Austin, Horseshoe Bay is one of Texas’ best summer vacation destinations. Horseshoe Bay is a beautiful lake area complete with site-seeing, hiking, and resorts. The beautiful rolling hills and lush green landscape make the region a relaxing solace. Enjoy water activities, events, or any of the three award-winning golf courses at the Horseshoe Bay Resort.
4. San Antonio – This historic city is one of the most culturally rich in Texas. You can attend performances at one of the many great venues, visit The Alamo, or go on a romantic walk along the San Antonio River Walk. The River Walk is a beautiful spot to experience the food and culture of San Antonio. With so many historic sites around the city you may need a few days to visit them all. Art museums and old Spanish Missions abound in this wonderful city. To get away from the city and enjoy the beautiful landscape you can visit the Natural Bridge Caverns or the Natural Bridge Wildlife Reserve.
5. Austin — Live Music Capital of the World. If you enjoy music, especially live music, then Austin is a must for visiting in Texas. Music is everywhere in Austin, from the time you get into the airport terminal. Music festivals are a constant attraction in Austin and you can hardly walk through downtown without hearing live music echoing. Austin is also a big destination for film producers and fans. Austin has some of the country’s best film production facilities and resources. However, if you want to get out of the city for a bit then visit the Travaasa Resort and Spa nestled in the forested foothills of Austin.
6. South Padre Island – Near the southernmost tip of Texas, South Padre Island offers a tropical vacation experience that is unique. Enjoy all the seaside activities from sun bathing, to surfing, deep-sea fishing, hiking, scuba-diving, and more. You can go horseback riding along the beach or enjoy a romantic dinner watching the sun set over the bay. Take the family to the Schlitterbahn Waterpark, one of only five in the nation (four of them in Texas). Take some sand castle building lessons, or watch the sea turtles or dolphins. South Padre Island is a tropical getaway filled with as much activity as you want to enjoy.
7. Dallas – One of Texas’ cultural hubs, this metropolis boasts a rich city experience. Visit the various music venues like the House of Blues or eat at award-winning restaurants or stay up and enjoy the active night-life. You can visit one of the museums or attend the Dallas Opera to get a taste of the deep culture of of the city. The several amusement parks in Dallas offer fun for the whole family. You will never be lacking something to do in Dallas.